*CERTAIN POSTS WITHIN THIS BLOG INCLUDE CONTENT ONLY SUITABLE FOR ADULTS.* [This notification required by Google]

Tuesday

The Service of Wholeness


On December 2, 2012, we had the Service of Wholeness we have been planning for several months. It was in the evening, and open to any who felt the need. Because it was on Sunday night, it was also available to the I-HELP Ladies, who use our church as a sleeping/showering place. This is a ministry of our church for the homeless.

I brought recorded music to play softly at the beginning and end of the service, as a Prelude and Postlude. The songs I picked were songs that spoke to me in this setting and circumstance. I will include them later in this post. My Pastor and I planned the service... musically, symbolically, ... using resources I had discovered in my search, from books and the Internet, and even using rocks.

Yes, rocks. Because in counseling, I had referred to the burdens of abuse and secrets as being like rocks that I carried around with me. I had said that someday, maybe I could just lug those rocks down the center aisle of our church and leave them up front on the altar, or the steps. Maybe I could just leave them there and walk away. So my Pastor brought rocks to church for the service. They were strewn randomly all along the aisle. There was a cross set up at the front of the church with a few rocks already around its base.

When I got to church, the scene was so beautiful to me.... that quiet church, the cross at the front, the rocks, the music... everything ready and waiting to welcome those who needed this time for meditation, prayer, anointing, healing, and a laying down of burdens.

A very small number of people came... but then the focus of the service was very specific... being a service for those who were sexually abused and their families, as well as those who knew someone, like a friend for instance, who had been abused. Some came to pray and support others. And a small number came as victims.

I have included the service bulletin on another page.  Click here to see it.

The Prelude and Postlude follow:

Prelude

Postlude
I don't think I can find the words to adequately express what this service meant to me. There were friends who gathered around me, loving on me, reassuring me of their acceptance and encouragement. Letting go of all the secrets was an uplifting experience. Picking out the rock to bring to the cross turned out to be more difficult... and I ended up picking out two big rocks and carrying them to the pile that was already there. I really felt I needed more than one rock to do the job.... but two was all I could manage. Then the time of prayer with a pastor and elder, the anointing with oil... singing favorite hymns... all of it was so good. And after the service, my friends gathered around again, and lingered to speak personally with me. Nobody was in a big rush to leave.

The Songs We Sang

Just As I Am


A Broken Spirit


Amazing Grace [My Chains Are Gone]


When I went home, it was very hard to relax and settle down for bed. The music and and words, the images of the evening kept playing through my head. Even later, when I was in bed, it was like I had had too much caffeine...  And I just kept saying Thank you God... over and over.

I have "come out" so to speak. Now there are people who know what happened to me, and still love me. I don't feel alone anymore. I know I'm not all better yet... but I will be. Healing takes a long time, and probably some help from others. But I truly believe I left so many burdens in a pile of rocks Sunday night. Praise the Lord.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel so honored to have been a part of the Service of Wholeness. Thank you for working to create it.

ELHG said...

The work was not mine alone... But the privilege of helping to create the service became a work of healing for me. I am thankful for the whole experience.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like it was wonderful. You have great support and a great church. I'm happy the service brought peace to you. The songs "Just As I Am" and "Amazing Grace" (my chains are gone), are two of my many favorites. The rocks at the altar part reminds me of a song by Kirk Franklin titled "At The Altar".


Catherine Thiemann said...

I am in awe of the fact that you were able to get your church to do this service. So many churchgoers and pastors are afraid to go near this topic. I am sure it helped in your healing -- but more important I hope it opened hearts and minds throughout the church. Have you noticed any change? Perhaps a greater willingness to talk about sexual abuse, or greater compassion for the victims?

ELHG said...

I do not hear more talk about sexual abuse at my church, but I feel a connection with others in the congregation who came forward to tell me that they, too, are victims of sexual abuse. And I see more compassion and loving service to the homeless who are victims in many ways. We have so many homeless people around our church, which is located in the inner city.

Anonymous Girl said...

This sounds like a wonderful service. What strength it must has taken for you to participate in that type of service.

ELHG said...

It did make me nervous and unsure in the beginning, but I was so "surrounded" with those who loved me and accepted me... it became an experience that made me feel strong.

BIBLE VERSES TO HELP ME___________________________________

Psalms 37:40—"And the LORD shall help them, and deliver them: he shall deliver them from the wicked, and save them, because they trust in him."

Jeremiah 23:1-4—"Woe to the shepherds who destroy and scatter the sheep of my pasture" declares the Lord. Therefore thus says the Lord, the God of Israel, concerning the shepherds who care for my people: "You have scattered my flock and have driven them away, , and you have not attended to them. Behold, I will attend to you for your evil deeds," declares the Lord. "Then I will gather the remnant of my flock out of all the countries where I have driven them, and I will bring them back to their fold, and they shall be fruitful and multiply. I will set shepherds over them who will care for them, and they shall fear no more, nor be dismayed, neither shall any be missing," declares the Lord.

MORE_____________________________________________________

FURTHER READING ON THE WEB [click here]_______________

RELATED VIDEOS ON THE WEB [click here]_________________

HELPFUL WEBSITES [click here]__________________________

HELPFUL BOOKS [click here]_____________________________

DEVOTIONS AND MEDITATIONS [click here]_________________

_______________________________________________________________________

UNFINISHED MELODY

Someday, Lord I pray,
there will be a place for me,
where ears take time to listen,
where eyes take time to see.
A place where I can laugh and cry
and know that I belong.
Someday, that's where
I will sing my song.

And someday, Lord I pray, in a place......
_______________________________________________________________________

SERMONS

The Power of Pentecost
This sermon helped me so much... and gave me the push I needed to begin the healing process in earnest. Thank you to the minister who wasn't afraid to preach it!
______________________________________________________________________

Looking Forward In Faith
[part 1]


[part 2]

During a recent Sunday morning worship service I was blessed to hear a sermon that spoke to my heart, and reminded me that I am forgiven. I will cling to these words as I continue to move from victim to survivor to thriver.
______________________________________________________________________

Oh, For the Wings of a Dove

[Mendelssohn]
Oh, for the wings,
for the wings of a dove,
Far away,
far away would I rove!
Oh, for the wings,
for the wings of a dove,
Far away,
far away, far away,
far away would I rove!

In the wilderness
build me a nest,
And remain there
forever at rest
In the wilderness
build me, build me a nest,
And remain
there forever at rest