*CERTAIN POSTS WITHIN THIS BLOG INCLUDE CONTENT ONLY SUITABLE FOR ADULTS.* [This notification required by Google]

Saturday

Grooming



   
     Slowly.... slowly.... our lesson time changed. Actual time studying became shorter, and personal time together longer. He counseled me on my problems. He listened.... encouraged.... and shared some of his problems and concerns with me. He became more affectionate... but it all happened slowly... I hardly realized how much our lesson time was changing into something much different.
      His inappropriate advances and actions were not an accident, not spur-of-the-moment adventures, not mere whims… they were planned... all in an effort to get me [his victim] ready.
     I know now that these are referred to as grooming behaviors, and led up to the actual offenses. Tricks, power, status, threats, bribes, encouragement, praise, jokes and laughter, counseling, private Bible study, outings together, patting and hugging, and more were used to manipulate me into doing things that were against my natural inclinations.
     Any survivor of abuse, has been a victim of grooming whether she believes it or not. It’s part of why she thinks it’s her fault (which it’s not). It’s part of why she feels guilty (which she’s not). It’s part of why she feels shame (which she shouldn’t because it’s not hers). And it’s part of why she finds it so hard to talk about
     He was a clever man. He had one aim... to get away with his abuse… so he convinced his victim she had a part in it. And the victim [me] believed him and did not tell. Grooming helped this happen.

2 comments:

SurvivorGirl007 said...

Wow. I am thrilled to find this blog! I, too, am an adult victim-now-survivor of CSA. It has taken me nearly 3 years to stop hyperventilating when I think of my abuser. Changed churches AND denominations, and within 6 months the SP at the new church resigned due to CSA. His victim and I have been supporting one another. I am grateful that word is getting about about CSA and the horrific damage it does. I've kept a pretty low profile - not many folks know but just close friends. This piece you have on grooming really hits the bulleye - I could've written it. In fact, the more accounts I read on CSA grooming, the more convinced I become that the perpetrators have a playbook. Please feel free to visit my blog: "A Difficult Simplicity." I've only just started posting a little at a time. God bless you - I will continue to visit.

SurvivorGirl

ELHG said...

What a nice surprise to find your comment waiting for me today. I get so little indication that anyone is reading my blog. I was in hopes that it could be a survivors' meeting place for discussion and support. But... even if it isn't widely read, this blog has been journaling therapy for me... a way to tell what happened and not just bottle it up inside. I will most certainly look at your blog. Thank you!

BIBLE VERSES TO HELP ME___________________________________

Psalms 37:40—"And the LORD shall help them, and deliver them: he shall deliver them from the wicked, and save them, because they trust in him."

Jeremiah 23:1-4—"Woe to the shepherds who destroy and scatter the sheep of my pasture" declares the Lord. Therefore thus says the Lord, the God of Israel, concerning the shepherds who care for my people: "You have scattered my flock and have driven them away, , and you have not attended to them. Behold, I will attend to you for your evil deeds," declares the Lord. "Then I will gather the remnant of my flock out of all the countries where I have driven them, and I will bring them back to their fold, and they shall be fruitful and multiply. I will set shepherds over them who will care for them, and they shall fear no more, nor be dismayed, neither shall any be missing," declares the Lord.

MORE_____________________________________________________

FURTHER READING ON THE WEB [click here]_______________

RELATED VIDEOS ON THE WEB [click here]_________________

HELPFUL WEBSITES [click here]__________________________

HELPFUL BOOKS [click here]_____________________________

DEVOTIONS AND MEDITATIONS [click here]_________________

_______________________________________________________________________

UNFINISHED MELODY

Someday, Lord I pray,
there will be a place for me,
where ears take time to listen,
where eyes take time to see.
A place where I can laugh and cry
and know that I belong.
Someday, that's where
I will sing my song.

And someday, Lord I pray, in a place......
_______________________________________________________________________

SERMONS

The Power of Pentecost
This sermon helped me so much... and gave me the push I needed to begin the healing process in earnest. Thank you to the minister who wasn't afraid to preach it!
______________________________________________________________________

Looking Forward In Faith
[part 1]


[part 2]

During a recent Sunday morning worship service I was blessed to hear a sermon that spoke to my heart, and reminded me that I am forgiven. I will cling to these words as I continue to move from victim to survivor to thriver.
______________________________________________________________________

Oh, For the Wings of a Dove

[Mendelssohn]
Oh, for the wings,
for the wings of a dove,
Far away,
far away would I rove!
Oh, for the wings,
for the wings of a dove,
Far away,
far away, far away,
far away would I rove!

In the wilderness
build me a nest,
And remain there
forever at rest
In the wilderness
build me, build me a nest,
And remain
there forever at rest