*CERTAIN POSTS WITHIN THIS BLOG INCLUDE CONTENT ONLY SUITABLE FOR ADULTS.* [This notification required by Google]

Monday

Service of Wholeness Bulletin



Note: On the page that follows, after the Prelude, the Welcome and Opening Prayer is spoken by our two Pastors:


Welcome and Opening Prayer                         (Brant)
            We come this evening to address an excruciatingly difficult subject.  Sexual wounding, in most cases, is devastating for its victims, and for all who love those victims.  This kind of violation strikes at the very core of who a person is, and so recovery is not so much an event as it is a process.  Healing is possible, but it usually takes a very long time, together with a lot of support and understanding. 
            It also takes God, because sexual wounds are deep wounds of the human spirit that require the deep and sensitive work of God’s Holy Spirit to heal.  Tonight we claim no human power, no ability in ourselves to heal, but instead we claim the promise of God, that where two or three are gathered, God is there, and that when we hold one another up in prayer, when we call upon the elders of the church, when we anoint with oil, that in all of that the healing power of God can begin to flow. 
            Let us pray…
Brant:            God of Life,
Lois:            you are as near to us as our breath.
Brant:            Touch our eyes
Lois:            that we may see you;
Brant:            Open our ears
Lois:            that we may hear your voice;
Brant:            Enter our hearts
Lois:            that we may know your love.
Brant:            Grace our souls and bodies with your presence,
Lois:            that we might feel your strength and your healing touch.
BOTH:            Come, God of breath and wholeness, in the name of Jesus Christ. Amen


On the page that follows, before the readings, the Pastor and the Victim speak:

BRANT:                                                                                            
Most people, when subject to great pain, whether physical or emotional, look for ways to check out. We begin to sink, we run out of energy, and we often look for escape, and that escape can take many forms: emotional withdrawal, self-destructive behaviors, dangerous addictions… And in seeking ways to numb our pain we often die a slow death. 
It doesn’t have to be this way.  There can be healing from abuse, and while that process is different for every survivor there is at least one constant: that God is the amazing source of life and love. 
The brief readings that follow are taken from a devotional book specially written for survivors of sexual abuse.  I will share these readings with my friend Ellen, and each new reading will be denoted with the sound of a bell.  Each reading includes a verse from scripture, a reflection, and a brief prayer.

ELLEN:
I speak for the abused, for I am one of you… hoping I can at long last lay down the burdens of abuse that I carry with me every day. Yes…I am a victim. I will speak out for the abused.





No comments:

BIBLE VERSES TO HELP ME___________________________________

Psalms 37:40—"And the LORD shall help them, and deliver them: he shall deliver them from the wicked, and save them, because they trust in him."

Jeremiah 23:1-4—"Woe to the shepherds who destroy and scatter the sheep of my pasture" declares the Lord. Therefore thus says the Lord, the God of Israel, concerning the shepherds who care for my people: "You have scattered my flock and have driven them away, , and you have not attended to them. Behold, I will attend to you for your evil deeds," declares the Lord. "Then I will gather the remnant of my flock out of all the countries where I have driven them, and I will bring them back to their fold, and they shall be fruitful and multiply. I will set shepherds over them who will care for them, and they shall fear no more, nor be dismayed, neither shall any be missing," declares the Lord.

MORE_____________________________________________________

FURTHER READING ON THE WEB [click here]_______________

RELATED VIDEOS ON THE WEB [click here]_________________

HELPFUL WEBSITES [click here]__________________________

HELPFUL BOOKS [click here]_____________________________

DEVOTIONS AND MEDITATIONS [click here]_________________

_______________________________________________________________________

UNFINISHED MELODY

Someday, Lord I pray,
there will be a place for me,
where ears take time to listen,
where eyes take time to see.
A place where I can laugh and cry
and know that I belong.
Someday, that's where
I will sing my song.

And someday, Lord I pray, in a place......
_______________________________________________________________________

SERMONS

The Power of Pentecost
This sermon helped me so much... and gave me the push I needed to begin the healing process in earnest. Thank you to the minister who wasn't afraid to preach it!
______________________________________________________________________

Looking Forward In Faith
[part 1]


[part 2]

During a recent Sunday morning worship service I was blessed to hear a sermon that spoke to my heart, and reminded me that I am forgiven. I will cling to these words as I continue to move from victim to survivor to thriver.
______________________________________________________________________

Oh, For the Wings of a Dove

[Mendelssohn]
Oh, for the wings,
for the wings of a dove,
Far away,
far away would I rove!
Oh, for the wings,
for the wings of a dove,
Far away,
far away, far away,
far away would I rove!

In the wilderness
build me a nest,
And remain there
forever at rest
In the wilderness
build me, build me a nest,
And remain
there forever at rest